Printable crossword puzzles, can easily be downloaded whenever you want. Besides having access to printable crossword puzzles at anytime, free printable crossword puzzles offer players a whole new level of enjoyment.
Not only are printable crossword puzzles free on freedailycrosswords.com, a player can also customize their puzzles to whatever suits their mood. Printable crossword puzzles can be created to focus on a certain category such as animals or famous people and can easily be manipulated for a variety of skill levels and enjoyment.
Select the puzzle month that you want to print and solve, the page will have a printable versions in which all extraneous material has been eliminated. Just print it up and have fun!
Printable crosswords for the following months:
Types of printable crosswords
When people hear the term crossword, what generally comes to mind is a square-shaped ground divided into smaller squares, arranged vertically and horizontally, that stand for letters, with the first of each word being numbered. The clues to each word are given with the puzzle. There are a number of variations on this theme featured on Puzzle Choice, listed above, and include:
- alpha-cross: The first letter of each word is written next to the clue that pertains to it, in alphabetical order, and one is already placed on the grid.
- arrows: Each square with a clue is colored, and an accompanying arrow indicates whether the answer goes across or down.
- code words: A random number from 1 to 26 is used to represent each letter of the alphabet, and each letter is used at least once. A certain number of letters may already be in place.
- criss-cross: Each answer intersects with one and only one other answer, and one, if any, box per word is highlighted; together the highlighted letters form another word.
- cross-wise: No numbers are given, so the player must use his or her powers of deduction to solve the clues, which describe words with a given number of letters in either orientation, e. g. “One of the two horizontal seven-letter words is part of a bird’s wing and the other is stomach.”
- diagramless: The diagram is not given. Instead, the row and column at which the first clue begins are indicated.
- search words: This is really different from a crossword puzzle because the words are already there, but they are surrounded by other letters that are not a part of them and the player has to locate them.
- grid jigs: These start with a blank grid and a set of sub-grids, each with some letters and blank spaces on it. The object of this type of game is to put the pieces back together by filling in all the letters and blank spaces in their correct spaces in the grid.
The puzzle does not always take the form of a square grid. It may take on any number of other shapes, including an octagon with the sides resembling staircases, a diamond shape or a triangle.
In some crossword puzzles, all the words belong to a particular category. For example, there are crosswords devoted to capital cities, poetry, fruits and vegetables, geographical names, astronomical names, historical personages and animals. There is even a set of puzzles called true or false. In these, two clues are given for each word, one of them true and the other one false, and the player has to choose the true one and put it in its proper place. As an example, one such clue is “unmarried man/unmarried woman” for 3 across. The fact that there are eight letters in that position indicates that the correct choice is the first, which is “bachelor.”